Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Book Review, Movie Review

I'm reading a really good book right now that I love. It's called American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's a fictional novel loosely based on the life of Laura Bush.


I'm finding it quite entertaining and a nice departure from watching t.v. in the evening. This is perfect timing since the t.v. is often occupied with football these days.

The book is a NY Times best seller, but didn't get the best reviews from the critics or my mom. I love the story line and the way it's written, so pish posh critics.

What are you reading? Football season is sooo long, I'm going to need additional reading material.

This weekend I saw Julie and Julia. I had been waiting for the chance to see it. I went on Sunday, by myself, as I often like to do. I went to the Landmark in Greenwood Village. For the price of one ticket you get all the popcorn you can eat, and all the soda you can drink. Also, there is a bar.

Me, my popcorn (which I buttered in the middle of the bag, then again on top), my soda, and my beer walked into the theater and found a seat. I was in a crying mood. This is the best time to go to a movie solo. As soon as the movie started I was crying, it was the beautiful scenes from Paris making me nostalgic. I had a good cry.

Meryl Streep playing Julia Child is fantastic in the movie, Amy Adams was good too but I didn't like her story line as well. I loved the relationship that Julia Child had with her husband Paul. I loved Julia's energy and endless optimism. In this way, it would be nice to be more like Julia.

By the end of the movie I was inspired to do more cooking, be more optimistic, have dinners with lots of red wine, and to make Boeuf Bourguignon.

Lucky for you, I think I will do the last 2 in combination and have a party for the Beaujolais
Nouveau in November and serve Boeuf Bourguignon a la Julia Child! See you there!

3 comments:

Jordan E said...

i want movie popcorn with double butter and beer! can we go in december?

JamieShook said...

I just want to have a Valentine's Day party where everyone will, naturally, be wearing construction paper hearts.

Sarah said...

I do too! I loved that!