Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Beginnings

Emo backstory of my decision to go back to school (for nursing, if ya didn't know).

I can't claim to have a life long dream of being a nurse or anything.  I came to the decision to make nursing my new profession first in an emotional drug induced state while having Ava and then logically 8 months later.

When I was having Ava, I felt extremely affected by the nurses who took care of me (and her).  The whole time I was thinking what a great job they had and how I would love it.  Frankly, I had never stayed in the hospital as an adult so I did not know what nurses really do.  I was so surprised mostly by the amount of educating they do with patients, their tough love attitude, and the affect they can make on people's lives, and of course the schedule. 

So...I got to thinking that maybe I should do a career change.  Then I looked into what I would have to do to make that happen...and I stopped thinking about it.  As Ava got older, every weekend reminded me of how much I miss with her when I'm working all day...so, I  started thinking about it again and hashed out the logistics.  Then I waited until it felt right and made a final decision to go for it.

"It's a long way to go, a hard row to hoe." 
That John Lennon lyric always plays in my head when I think about the next few years.  If things go perfectly, it will look like this.
-1 year or science pre-reqs...must get 4.0 (taking A&P 1 and 2, chemistry this semester, working
  full time, nbd)
-June 2012-apply for 2 nursing schools' accelerated programs
-Jan 2013-hopefully start nursing school
-12-17 months later-finish nursing school

Getting into nursing school is extremely competitive.  That makes me nervous, lotta pressure.
What it looks like, feels like to be a non-trad student.
1. Geek Chic glasses make you look like a serious student and have an obvious impact on your
actual intelligence.
2. Northface coat keeps you warm while you walk around campus and run to catch your lightrail
train. It also makes you look Coloradoey.
3. New iPhone 4S shows you have a real job and can afford a new iPhone 4S...except it actually
means nothing since all the kids have them these days. It's a serious upgrade from the orange
Kyrocera phone I had in college. Mostly it's great entertainment during the shortest moment of
downtime (a perfect opportunity to obsessively check facebook or gmail-duh!)
4. Book bag with current place of employment embroidered on it shows company loyalty in the office during the day and makes you look like an uber non-trad in the evening as you roll into class and pull out a brand new five-star notebook and pre-purchased textbook and lab manual. Don't worry, back up pens, kleenex, and snacks fit perfectly in the side pocket....pearl necklace and gyms socks sneak around in the bottom from this bags every other day gym bag duty. 
*Upgrade happening in March when "hopefully" I get a surpise red, monogrammed Cambridge
Satchel for my bday.
5. Nalgene keeps you hydrated in a 3.5 hour class.
6. Baby toys in your first day of school pic shows you are definitely a non-trad.

I surprised even myself as I embraced my non-trad position by asking the professor how to be successful in the class, if the tests come from the book or lecture, and what percentage of the class usually get an A, and where I could find a soft copy of the syllabus-you know, to print out and keep track of how many points I need for an A and how points are earned.

Yes, I'm going to be great at college this time too...

2 comments:

Lisa Cotter said...

Cute! You are a super star :)

Anthony and Katie Green said...

I think I missed this blog! maybe you should get back to bogging and fill us in on life!!